1Pe 1:3-9 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.
As I was reading my Bible today I read over this passage in 1st Peter. I began to meditate on it and so many things popped off the pages at me so I wanted to share some thoughts.
First of all, the scripture itself needs very little commentary. It tells me a story of hope and redemption through Christ which is freely given and can not be taken away. Here are some key points that jumped out at me this afternoon that I really wanted to share.
- Caused us to be born again. Left to my own devices I will always choose sin. God, in His infinite grace allowed me to turn from my sinful nature and see his offer of salvation.
- An inheritance that is imperishable and will not fade away. Gods salvation is an inheritance and is permanent. It will never die and will never fade away and is stored up in Heaven for me and you. Nothing can separate me from Him, not even my own doing.
- Who are protected by the power of God through faith. Protected by the power of God. When God is my protector there is no fear of ever losing my salvation. As I continue to be strengthened in the faith I am assured of seeing Him for all of eternity. (Joh 10:29 “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.)
- In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials. Being a Christian never meant that I would be free from difficulties. But He allows me to be faithful even in my trails and I will rejoice in my struggles. It is a testament to my salvation.
- Obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls. What prize can be greater than the salvation of our souls. Eternity spent with Him because He has allowed me to persevere.
God has designed a perfect plan from the beginning to rescue us from sin and death. He offered His son Jesus Christ as our atonement for sin and we can be saved when we put our faith in Him. I encourage you to examine your heart today.
David, in Psalm 139 cries out to God in this way: Psa 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.
Be blessed ~ Keith